tisdag 5 november 2013

Breaking every rule


During almost 40 years of driving in Sweden, I have only been fined a few times for bad parking and twice for too high velocity. In Vietnam I haven't been fined yet but I brake every rule possible. We are sometimes speeding to high, we occasionally drives against red. When necessary we uses the wrong lane and we make overtakes in the most suitable way, quite often on the right hand side. Sometimes we even go in the wrong direction of the road. My breaking light is gone, and so is the trip and speed indicators. But that is of course minor problems.
Still we believe that we only adapt to the common way of driving in this country. It is like being a part in a computer game with obstacles coming from any direction and you just try to avoid them all. Today we encountered two trucks going in the wrong direction on a two-lane highway inside Hai Phong, but all the motor bikes just stopped and let them pass. Because in this country co-laboration is a must. Most of our fellows in the trafic just cheer to us and waves. The bus drivers instead hunk their horns and forces us out on the sidewalk.
When we returns we will try to rapidly forget all these inherited habits but it might be hard. I guess nothing will be as it was and if I miss my bike too much maybe I had to buy a scooter in Sweden. 
Besides this, everything is great. We have reached our (very much) goal Cat Ba. From now on everything is regarded as extra.

//Stefan

2 kommentarer:

  1. Thinking of your wounded knee Stefan, hope you not break that too, see what I have found for you:
    http://sploid.gizmodo.com/it-may-sound-impossible-but-scientists-have-discovered-1459150078

    SvaraRadera
  2. Stefan and Nisse - This makes perfect sense - 'When in Rome'

    Should I expect to see a motorbike
    (or 2) on Potter Street across from the ice rink???

    SvaraRadera