torsdag 7 november 2013

Facing a touch of rasism

This morning I went angry. We had chosen a "better" and more expensive hotel, with a nice reception. It was not for the fancy elevator but more that it was crowded with people, both guests and personnel.
That was a mistake. Nisse went angry when the promised WiFi not worked and noone wanted to rearrange it. I did not really care but it annoyed me that the promised garage for our bikes just was exchanged to an instruction "you may lock the bikes and place them in front of the entrance". But it was still okey. We should only remain here two nights anyhow.
The following morning we had ordered a full-day boat trip out in Halong Bay and we were a little bit in a hurry at breakfast. Then we discovered that they only allowed us one day's breakfast and, worse, they refused us to enter the room where the other guest already had started their meal. The promised buffé was no longer for us, we were not wanted in the room. That statement made me loose my temper and I went furious. The poor servant unfortunately was told a little bit of everything. Still she responded fast to our demands and we had our breakfast solely in the bar. No buffé of course, but who has time for that when new adventures are awaiting. Directly afterwards we took our belongings and checked out. We made it in time for the boat's departure.

I am a little bit surprised of my own reaction. I could take some disappoinment with a sloppy bathroom, no WiFi, no garage etc, but if they refuse me to eat with the other Vietnamese guests I protest immediately. We were treated well in the bar but I could not accept it anyhow. And this special treatment is what a lot of people by various reasons are facing every day. Now I know a little bit more how it feels to have the "wrong" nationality or a different colour of your skin. I will certainly keep that in mind.

Nisse will hopefully tell you about the day in Halong Bay. Let me just say it was a lovely day to remember ...

//Stefan

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar